Myth #1. My hair turned green because there’s too much chlorine in the pool!
Fact: Green hair is sometimes associated with swimming. The green color is most obvious in blonde hair, but chlorine is not the culprit. Green hair after swimming is the result of copper not chlorine! Copper is an active ingredient in most pool algaecides, it’s present in fill water, and can also enter a pool by way of corroded copper plumbing.
Myth #2. You can’t swim for an hour after eating.
Fact: Many children are told that swimming on a full stomach is dangerous because you might get a cramp, leaving you unable to swim and this could lead to drowning. This might be a helpful parenting technique to get your child to take a break from the pool, but there is no scientific evidence to support this. Eating within one hour before swimming does not increase the likelihood of getting a cramp.
We don’t recommend eating everything in sight before going in the pool. Use common sense and eat in moderation before swimming, and remember to stay hydrated even though you are in the water!
Myth #3. The heavy chlorine smell around a pool tells you there is too much chlorine in the water.
Fact: A properly disinfected pool actually has no strong chemical smell. Chlorine is not actually causing the smell. It’s chloramines in the water that cause that smell. Chloramines are formed during the reaction of chlorine with sweat, urine, and body oils.
The heavy chlorine smell is actually a sign of an under-chlorinated pool. These are pools that do not maintain a normal level of 1-3ppm chlorination.
Myth #4 Chlorine gives people red eyes during swimming.
Fact: You may have experienced, or seen, the dreaded symptoms of red eye after swimming. Irritated, itchy red eyes are commonly blamed on an excess of chlorine in a pool, but that is almost never the case.
While swimming pools can indeed provide irritations, the culprit is actually chloramines, that by-product of chlorine mentioned above in Myth #3, which results from an improperly, often under-chlorinated pool. Pools that maintain a normal level of chlorination (the aforementioned 1-3 ppm) will not cause such symptoms.
Thanks for taking the time to read our Blog post. We hope this clears a few things up, and that the knowledge gained from this post will help you and your family enjoy your pool experience pool even more.
We would love to hear your comments.
Pleatco – The Clean Water Company